cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ymgvee
Level 3

Force Installshield to leave .msi after building .exe

Hi,

Due to legacy issues we're forced to build both .exe and .msi installers for several of our projects. Right now we build two times, which result in the installers having different ProductCodes and PackageCodes. We see from the build process that the .msi is created first, then signed, then finally moved into the .exe installer. Is there some way to force Installshield to leave the .msi file in place, so we get both installer types?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Not applicable

Hi, Ymgvee

You can try to disable Generate Package Code settings in * Product Configuration of Release viewer.
0 Kudos
Ymgvee
Level 3

Thanks, and we might try that if there is no other option.

Are there any problems with creating two different installations (that install the same content, but are built separately) with the same ProductCode and PackageCode? I've seen some warnings about re-using the package code, but what are the implications?
0 Kudos
Nick_Umanski
Level 7

Sorry for the necro, but I see no answer to the final question.

This is exactly what I do and have had no issues. We build two installer packages for each build, one a raw .msi and the other a Setup.exe. If there is a way to just insert the raw .msi into the Setup.exe I never found it. So I just disabled the automatic spinning of the package code in the release configuration and build it twice.

The Product code isn't spun automatically, I spin this manually along with the Package code only when we move to the next version. All my Upgrades are major ones.
0 Kudos