cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
founoflife
Level 4

For a BasicMSI project, is it possible to define on-load event for a dialog?

Hi,

After jumping to a new dialog, I want to do a CA automatically, without any end user operation, e.g. clicking button.
In the dialog before this one, I tried to put "NewDialog" before "DoAction", but the new dialog was not opened untill the CA was finished.

Is there any solution for this? Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Cary_R
Level 11

Hi There,

I think your only real option is an Asychronous custom action that waits for the window title to appear, and then take some action.

It will take some coding, however. Read up on FindWindow()
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Before I suggest a way-off-road solution, it would help to better understand what this custom action is going to do in the first place.
0 Kudos
founoflife
Level 4

Cary R wrote:
Hi There,

I think your only real option is an Asychronous custom action that waits for the window title to appear, and then take some action.

It will take some coding, however. Read up on FindWindow()

Thank you. I will try it.
0 Kudos
founoflife
Level 4

Christopher Painter wrote:
Before I suggest a way-off-road solution, it would help to better understand what this custom action is going to do in the first place.

The CA scans registry to find if there is any conflict between the installed software and the software that is going to be installed.
Originally, it was performed after end user clicks the "Next" button in the last dialog. Then they want the CA to be performed as soon as the current dialog is opened.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Is there a reason you can't use System Search ( AppSearch and Reglocator tables ) and Setup Conditions (Launch Conditions) to do the same task?
0 Kudos
founoflife
Level 4

To be honest, my IS knowledge is limited. I have never heard about the search method you mentioned before.

The general idea of my IS project is:
1. Check software conflict.
2. User specifies installation information.
3. Start to install.

AppSearch is located in the beginning of installation sequence, but the installation sequence will not be started until the user clicks the "Install" button in "ReadyToInstall" dialog. Right?
0 Kudos