cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RatBoyGL
Level 4

Folder Permissions Not Being Set by MSI on Target Machine

So I am trying to set the opermissions of INSTALLDIR on the target machine for Everyone and Users to be full control. (I know its not good practice, but our app needs this to work unfortunately.)

So here is the screen shot from InstallShield:

Yet, on the target system, Everyone is not even added at all. And for Users, it looks like this:

Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RatBoyGL
Level 4

Also, it appears as though INSTALLDIR is being configured to Read Only by default. I can't seem to find how to un-check this property. Where is this setting at the folder level?
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

Do you know if the components that set permissions are using the newer InstallShield method or the standard MSI Lock Permissions table?
If the standard Lock Permission table then Everyone should work for you but not 'Users' as it is not considered one of the 'well known' SIDs.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa369774%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

I forget when InstallShield implemented support for other SID.

The only other thing that I can think of is permissions when running your install. Make sure you run the installer so that it has administrative rights this should grant permissions to change permissions on a child folder of Program Files(x86).
0 Kudos
rrinblue22
Level 9

May be you just missed the "Domain".

I just tried with the below setting and that worked for me.

0 Kudos
RatBoyGL
Level 4

Dan, not sure on how to tell that.

But as a failsafe, I put Everyone And Users in the permissions both with and without the %USERDOMAIN.

But none of the permissions are added.

Very strange.

DLee65 wrote:
Do you know if the components that set permissions are using the newer InstallShield method or the standard MSI Lock Permissions table?
If the standard Lock Permission table then Everyone should work for you but not 'Users' as it is not considered one of the 'well known' SIDs.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa369774%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

I forget when InstallShield implemented support for other SID.

The only other thing that I can think of is permissions when running your install. Make sure you run the installer so that it has administrative rights this should grant permissions to change permissions on a child folder of Program Files(x86).
0 Kudos