cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chriscw
Level 6

Finding the path to Program data.

There is a function mentioned in Help called SHGetKnownFolderPath which when passed certain values will return the path to the program data file on a system. The function appears to be a windows API funtion not supported automatically by Installshield and of course the built in help carefully avoids giving any information about how to use it.

We need to find the correct place to put data on a host system for All users and I believe its not always the same for example I understand that Vista uses a Program Data directory structure whereas under XP the data would be in the Documents and settings\All Users data tree.

Does anyone know how I can find out how to do this as we are currently prting products to Vista and I would like to do it right so that Vista users will be able to use our product.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
chriscw
Level 6

Furthwer research shows that I need to use GetFolderPathg because the newer function ONLY works from Vista onwards. I'm still having trouble with making it work though.

Has anyone else done this.
0 Kudos
chriscw
Level 6

Finally by chance I've found it. Installshield stores this variable in FOLDER_APPDATA.
0 Kudos