cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ppsmxion
Level 3

Filter files from source output...

How can I filter certain files when I add source output to my IS project (Files and Folders)? Let's say I want all my .cs (C# files) files in the installer but don't want .csproj (C# project file) file.

I have just switched from Visual Studio's (2010) Setup project to InstallShield and I'm trying to create an identical installer. I just can't find a way to filter files like in Visual Studio's Setup project where you just right-clicked source output item and applied an "ExcludeFilter" (where you define using wildcards which files you want to filter out).
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
ppsmxion
Level 3

Just tried the "Dynamic File Linking" feature and this is probably designed for filtering files since it has a filtering option. However, you cannot apply this directly to source output item because it will create duplicates. I.e. if I add source output item and then add dynamic file linking to it with excluded files, it still adds the files originally in source output item. On the other hand, I can create my own components that include certain files (i.e. *.cs etc.) but then I lose the idea of the source output which automatically includes other files (resource files etc.) too. This is a very laborious way to handle this whole thing.

It would be great if you could apply this dynamic file linking to source output item and it would filter the excluded files I define. Even better would be if source output item would automatically contain a dynamic file linking object (containing all source related files) which you can edit - and exclude/include files you want.

InstallShield has many great features and that's why we have switched to using it instead of that crappy Visual Studio's setup project. However, lag of easy filtering makes VS's setup project superior in this case. I hope you Flexera guys will implement this "easy filtering" too. It would make many people's life easier - at least mine...

ppsmxion wrote:
How can I filter certain files when I add source output to my IS project (Files and Folders)? Let's say I want all my .cs (C# files) files in the installer but don't want .csproj (C# project file) file.

I have just switched from Visual Studio's (2010) Setup project to InstallShield and I'm trying to create an identical installer. I just can't find a way to filter files like in Visual Studio's Setup project where you just right-clicked source output item and applied an "ExcludeFilter" (where you define using wildcards which files you want to filter out).
0 Kudos