cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richard_Winks
Level 6

Files not removed on uninstall - need help

InstallShield 2010, Basic MSI.
I have some files that installed but never removed on uninstall, nor are they updated on a minor update.

The files are non-executable, configuration files (.rdlc).
The files are deployed to [CommonAppDataFolder]\Folder\Folder\

In the Original package setup:
The single component that deploys these files had originally had the Permanent attribute set to Yes. This, of course, prevents the files from being removed on uninstall. I'm not so sure about update.

Each file's properties was set to override system attributes to Read-Only to prevent the user from unintentionally overwriting the data.

When it was recently discovered that the files were not being updated I suggested that they uninstall the product. They informed me that it had no effect. While I understand that Permanent=Yes prevented the files from being uninstalled I figured removing the product and reinstalling would overwrite the files. This is not the case.

As a result, I made the following changes to the package setup.

I set the component's Permanent attribute to No.
I tested the new configuration and found that the files were still not removed on uninstall (let alone replaced on update).

I thought that setting the file attribute to Read-Only prevented the uninstall so I reset that. I tested again and the files still are not removed.

I added the files to the RemoveFile table and set the InstallMode to 3 (in the table) so that the file is removed on install or uninstall.

The funny thing here is that the files are not removed on uninstall but are removed during install and update.

While this achieves the purpose for update it does leave files around after an uninstall.

Can anyone give me a suggestion as to what else I might try? I really thought that setting the component's Permanent attribute to No would do the trick.

I also do not understand why the files are not removed on uninstall if they are in the RemoveFile table with the InstallMode set to 3.

FWIW I checked the MSI log for the uninstall. While I see a reference to the RemoveFiles action i do not see any reference to the files that I added to the RemoveFile table.

Richard
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
datamagnet
Level 5

Perhaps this will help ... at least to give some additional info for later

http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?t=182911&page=2
0 Kudos