cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrHartmann
Level 7

File type ProgID strings linked to Install Condition strings

I have an Installscript MSI with a strange behavior. I probably got into this by importing components incorrectly. I think it would be considered an Installshield bug that this is not easily fixable.

I have some file type associations on a component, and the description field is tied to a particular string id (ID_String89 for instance). However, this exact same string id is tied to an Install Condition string. When I change the string in either location in the IDE, rather than generating a new string ID, the same one is used, and both locations are updated. Needless to say, my intention is NOT to have these strings match. I thought perhaps there would be a place in the direct editor where it could be manually fixed, but when I search for "ID_String89", the ONLY occurance is in the ISString table, and the table has no references to the 2 location where the string is used (so I cannot sever one of the connections that way).

I tried removing and recreating the ProgID by de-selecting it under the accompanying Extension, but when I re-create it, IS remembers the string ID tied to the description!

There really should be a way for users to fix problems like this in the direct editor, if nowhere else. I suspect that if I deleted the string from the ISString table, my installation would completely break.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
BrHartmann
Level 7

ok, the last thing I hadn't tried yet worked.

I deleted and re-created the Install Conditions, and they got brand new string IDs. phew!

Still, this seems like a scenario that should be detected and addressed in a future version.
0 Kudos