cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anom217
Level 8

File permissions with UAC

I have a Basic MSI project and am installing on Windows 7. My install requires an administrator to run, and during install it creates a file on the target system. I execute a script to set full permissions on the file for the Everyone group. However, if I try to edit and save the file as a non-admin, I get an Access Denied error. I check the permissions, and I should have rights. I even enable full permissions for the Users group, and still get access denied. This only happens with the UAC enabled during installation. How can I get access to this file for normal users?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
anom217
Level 8

I've done some testing and found something interesting. The config file I'm talking about gets edited during the install using a deferred in system context CA that uses the ConfigFileLoad, ConfigAdd, and ConfigFileSave functions. When I removed this CA from the sequence, so the file was unedited, I was able to edit it just fine post-install. Do these built-in functions have a conflict with UAC? Is there another way to edit a properties file?
0 Kudos