Feature conditional selection

Hello,

I need your help in InstallShield. I'm trying to make a couple of features:

Feature A
- subfeature a1
- subfeature a2

Feature B
Feature C

When user will choose "subfeature a2" than "Feature B" should be selected automatically and must be required. Unfortunatelly I have no idea how to achieve this goal. Can you help me with that? Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Cary_R
Level 11

A good primer on how you can handle this is here:

http://blogs.flexerasoftware.com/installtalk/2011/07/old-jokes-and-feature-selections.html

Slightly different end result, but the overall approach is mostly the same.

In your case, you may want to condition the Show/Hide events of a static text box to display a message indicating the one feature is dependant on the other.
0 Kudos
coolerwl
Level 4

Thank you for your response.

I don't want to display message. The only action which I want to make is to automatically select "Feature B" when "subfeature a2" is selected by user.

Best Regards
0 Kudos
lostboyz
Level 4

This applies to InstallScript and InstallScriptMSI

1. In the View List under Organization, click Setup Design or Features.
2. Select the "subfeature a2" feature.
3. Click the Required Features property and then click the ellipsis button (...)
4. The Required Features dialog box opens.
5. Select the "Feature B" check box.
6. Click OK.
0 Kudos
coolerwl
Level 4

Thank you for your replay lostboyz. Unfortunately I'm using Basic MSI Project. Do you know how to achieve such result on that kind of project?

Best Regards
0 Kudos
Cary_R
Level 11

The best way to do this automatically would be to make it a Subfeature.

You could add some AddLocal controlevents that condition off of the selection state of the first feature, but I think you're going to have a hard to getting this to work in the way in which you want. This will be similar still to how the entry I posted before was accomplished.
0 Kudos
coolerwl
Level 4

It's difficult to believe that so usefull functionality is so difficult to achieve. Using InstallScript MSI project it is so simple (just define Required Features). I don't know why Basic MSI Project doesn't contain such feature.
0 Kudos