cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ribena
Level 4

Failed to sign setup launcher -5032

I am trying to sign my InstallScript project media.

The only option that works is "Sign media header"

"Sign setup.exe" results in the error

Failed to sign setup launcher -5032

However, signing the media header is not sufficient to remove the "unknown" from publisher when running my setup on windows 7 or vista.

In my old version of InstallShield 12 I would select "sign media header" and "macrovision" would show up as the publisher. Also an installscript project. I am wondering how to get rid of this error!

Gracias
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
Marwan
Level 7

Are you sure the .spc and .pvk files you are using are valid?
0 Kudos
Ribena
Level 4

Marwan wrote:
Are you sure the .spc and .pvk files you are using are valid?

Yes, quite, they don't expire until March and I've been using them without issue in InstallShield 12.
0 Kudos
Marwan
Level 7

You are using IS2010? Also, did you specify a company URL?

What do you mean that previously, Macrovision showed up? I think in IS12, Setup.exe by default was digitally signed by Macrovision, but that practice stopped as Setup.exe should be signed by the author. If this is the case, the your Setup.exe was never really signed using your own certificates.
0 Kudos
Ribena
Level 4

Marwan wrote:
You are using IS2010? Also, did you specify a company URL?

What do you mean that previously, Macrovision showed up? I think in IS12, Setup.exe by default was digitally signed by Macrovision, but that practice stopped as Setup.exe should be signed by the author. If this is the case, the your Setup.exe was never really signed using your own certificates.

That's Lame! They do work however because I still use them in the defunct "package for the web" and it actually shows they've successfully been signed. I am trying the pfx option.

Using the pfx I select "Sign setup.exe" (the only option) and I get no errors and yet it doesn't sign it, very similar to IS12! you'd think it would say something to indicate it's not signing. How do I get it to sign????
0 Kudos
Ribena
Level 4

Ribena wrote:
That's Lame! They do work however because I still use them in the defunct "package for the web" and it actually shows they've successfully been signed. I am trying the pfx option.

Using the pfx I select "Sign setup.exe" (the only option) and I get no errors and yet it doesn't sign it, very similar to IS12! you'd think it would say something to indicate it's not signing. How do I get it to sign????

So are you basically saying Installshield's signing has been broken since IS12 and is still broken?

If I change the password to a bogus one in IS12 it gives me an error saying the password is wrong. But if it's right it just does NOTHING?

What am I to do?

BTW I get the same thing in 2010, if I change it to a bogus pwd I get an immediate error 5032 failed to sign setup launcher...put in the right one and it does NOTHING. ... SO pfx for the other makes no diff, neither work
0 Kudos
Marwan
Level 7

Signing works. The only limitation is that InstallShield does not support using .pfx files to sign media header files (.hdr files) in InstallScript projects and the build silently ignores this. A new warning will be added to the Build process so users are notified of this limitation (#IOA-000052112).

To narrow this down, just create a new project and specify to only sign setup.exe then verify that the Digital Signatures Tab is shown on the Setup.exe Properties page. Also, you can try running "SignCode.exe" to see if you can sign any executable.
0 Kudos
Ribena
Level 4

Marwan wrote:
Signing works. The only limitation is that InstallShield does not support using .pfx files to sign media header files (.hdr files) in InstallScript projects and the build silently ignores this. A new warning will be added to the Build process so users are notified of this limitation (#IOA-000052112).

To narrow this down, just create a new project and specify to only sign setup.exe then verify that the Digital Signatures Tab is shown on the Setup.exe Properties page. Also, you can try running "SignCode.exe" to see if you can sign any executable.

Did as you suggested and created a test InstallScript Project with a CDROM release media signing the setup.exe using my .spc and .pvk files. Doesn't work. Get unknown publisher. Try signing the setup.exe manually with signcode and it works, bingo our company name comes up.
0 Kudos
Ribena
Level 4

Ribena wrote:
Did as you suggested and created a test InstallScript Project with a CDROM release media signing the setup.exe using my .spc and .pvk files. Doesn't work. Get unknown publisher. Try signing the setup.exe manually with signcode and it works, bingo our company name comes up.

Ok, this is what I needed to do to get it to work:

a) reinstall InstallShield 2010 Premier AND SP1 completely (one of the menu items "Build -> Settings" now brings up dialog like it should)

b) create new Media, signing works on my new media but not on any that existed when migrating projects from IS12

....but now when I try to recreate my old media types it stops working, so clearly there is something about my media that is interferring in signing....now to pin point.....argh.
0 Kudos
mehajure
Level 3

Hi Ribena,

I was facing the same problem, read your postings here and had a look at the project with the direct editor. I found some empty lines in the ISReleasePro table. This should not be so because i entered everything right , as I could see in the Releases View. At this point I decided to do a walkthrough with the Release wizard through my existing releases, and I found some inconsistencies in the path to the certificate - only visible in the wizards view. I corrected it an the warning 3052 disappeared.

Hope it helps.

j.
0 Kudos