cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aleksei
Level 3

Fail WACK 3.4 for Install Shield setup after Windows Update

After yesterday big Windows 8.1 update my deploy "setup.exe" from "Visual Studio 2013" and "Install Shield Limited Edition" don't pass WACK 3.4:

WARNINGs:

{xxxxxxxx-}\MyApp_xxxxxxxxxxx1457280A19C1F3BFB4F6A.exe has failed the NXCheck check.

{xxxxxxxx-}\MyApp_xxxxxxxxxxx1457280A19C1F3BFB4F6A.exe has failed the DBCheck

{xxxxxxxx-}\MyApp_xxxxxxxxxxx1457280A19C1F3BFB4F6A.exe has failed the SafeSEHCheck check.

warning for 3 application of Install Shield.

Where "MyApp_xxxxxxxxxxx1457280A19C1F3BFB4F6A.exe" is Install Shield code.

How I can solve it?
0 Kudos
(11) Replies
JohnTech
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

I am not to familiar with WACK, but I think the installer needs to be digitally signed - correct ?

I am looking into an unrelated issue of digitally signed installers having build problems after the recent windows update.

Do you still run into the issue after uninstalling the most recent updates?
0 Kudos
Aleksei
Level 3

jkell wrote:
I am not to familiar with WACK, but I think the installer needs to be digitally signed - correct ?

I am looking into an unrelated issue of digitally signed installers having build problems after the recent windows update.

Do you still run into the issue after uninstalling the most recent updates?

Yes, the installer needs digitally sign. I have digitally sign (code signing from Symantec) and installer signing my deploy.
And before I had installed updates in Windows 8.1, WASK 3.4 (Windows Application Certification Kit) was good,
I didn't uninstall updates.
0 Kudos
JohnTech
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Are you able to import your certificate into the Trusted Root Certification Authorities store ? This may resolve the issue.

Or you can you check and see if you have windows update KB2949927 ? This update looks to have been causing some issues in the tech world recently. You can try removing this particular update and see if it makes a difference.
0 Kudos
Aleksei
Level 3

jkell wrote:
Are you able to import your certificate into the Trusted Root Certification Authorities store ? This may resolve the issue.

Or you can you check and see if you have windows update KB2949927 ? This update looks to have been causing some issues in the tech world recently. You can try removing this particular update and see if it makes a difference.

jkell wrote:

I imported my certificate into the Trusted Root Certification Authorities store. This didn't resolved the issue.
I have checked windows update KB2949927. In Windows 8.1 there is no KB2949927.

WASK test:
-----------------------------------------
Windows security features test
Binary analyzer
Warning: The binary analyzer test detected the following errors:
...failed the NXCheck check.
...failed the DBCheck check.
...failed the SafeSEHCheck check.
"How to fix: Apply the SAFESEH, DYNAMICBASE, and NXCOMPAT options when you link the app. See link below for more information:" (link is broken)
-----------------------------------------
It is message for install files of InstallShield.
0 Kudos
Aleksei
Level 3

jkell wrote:

I imported my certificate into the Trusted Root Certification Authorities store. This didn't resolved the issue.
I checked windows update KB2949927. In Windows 8.1 there is no KB2949927.
0 Kudos
JohnTech
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

It sounds like it wasn't what I initially thought it to be, so let me look more into the error that you were recieving and see what I can find.
0 Kudos
Aleksei
Level 3

I have created a deploy setup.msi in VS2013 using InstallShield Express Edition.
I checked the deploy in "Windows App Certification Kit" (WACK) for publishing to Windows Store.
The test is successful.
After a recent Windows Update 8.1 validating WACK is not successful. Errors on files that creates the InstallShield:

-----------------------
Binary analyzer

Warning: The binary analyzer test detected the following errors:
File C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Installer\{XXX}\App_XXX.exe has failed the NXCheck check.
File C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Installer\{XXX}\App_XXX.exe has failed the DBCheck check.
File C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Installer\{XXX}\App_XXX.exe has failed the SafeSEHCheck check.
File C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Installer\{XXX}\App_YYY.exe has failed the NXCheck check.
File C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Installer\{XXX}\App_YYY.exe has failed the DBCheck check.
File C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Installer\{XXX}\App_YYY.exe has failed the SafeSEHCheck check.
File C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Installer\{XXX}\ARPPRODUCTICON.exe has failed the NXCheck check.
File C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Installer\{XXX}\ARPPRODUCTICON.exe has failed the DBCheck check.
File C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Installer\{XXX}\ARPPRODUCTICON.exe has failed the SafeSEHCheck check.

Impact if not fixed: If the app doesn’t use the available Windows protections, it can increase the vulnerability of the customer's computer to malware.
How to fix: Apply the SAFESEH, DYNAMICBASE, and NXCOMPAT options when you link the app. See link below for more information:
-----------------------

Where "App_XXX.exe", "App_YYY.exe" and ARPPRODUCTICON.exe is Install Shield code.
0 Kudos
JohnTech
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Any luck with rolling back the windows updates? Were you able to determine which one was the cause of the issue ?
0 Kudos
Aleksei
Level 3

I didn't roll back the Windows update - too many of them.
There are other ideas besides the rollback?
0 Kudos
JohnTech
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

We have not received any additional reports of this issue, do you have another machine that you can test this on? Ideally we would like to narrow down what update could be causing the warnings and to verify that an update has caused the issue.

Did you make any changes to your project since the update that may have made an impact ?
0 Kudos
Aleksei
Level 3

I sadly have nothing to add.
I have not tested it on another PC. Apparently, will have to do it.
But it will take time and all the latest Windows updates 8.1 installed on another PC.
0 Kudos