cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
digidatauser
Level 2

Facing issues implementing “change the installation directory(Target Dir)” in suite

I are facing issues implementing “change the installation directory(Target Dir)” in suite installation.

1. How to open BrowseStageFolder wizard from LicenseAgreement wizard ?

2. How to show some default INSTALLDIR in BrowseStageFolder wizard?

3. How to send the Target Dir/Browse Dir from suite installer to a Package( Setup.exe) ?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

[LIST=1]
  • To show a page after another page, simply order it such that it comes next in the Wizard Pages, and its Visible condition evaluates to true. To show a secondary window, add a button with action {DoModal nameOfSecondaryWindow}.
  • The value in the BrowseFolder style dialogs come from a property. Bind the control to the desired propery, and specify a value for the property in the Property manager. You'll probably want to refer to a system directory (such as [ProgramFilesFolder]) and mark the property as Formatted.
  • Use the property created above as part of your command line. For instance if it's MyPackageFolder, and your exe takes a command line of the form /d"C:\Some\Directory", include /d"[MyPackageFolder]" on the Install operation's command line.
  • 0 Kudos
    BizerbaDev
    Level 6

Hi,

I'm sorry to bring this thread back to life, but I have the very same problem and while I was able to get part 1. and 2. done I somehow cannot use the MyPackageFolder property to forward it to my MSI-Packages.

When looking at my packages in the "Packages" view, I can try to use the MyPackageFolder for the "MSI Command Line" or "MSI Silent Command Line", but the install then fails without giving me any hint what is going wrong.

I was looking at the allowed command line parameters for MSI and I noticed that /d is not listed and I also can not use it. Unfortunately I counld not find the answer anywhere so here it comes:

Does anybody know the correct syntax to let MSI install to a specific folder?

Regards

Ralf
    0 Kudos
    BizerbaDev
    Level 6

I found the solution myself. With MSI you cannot directly set the install location with a dedicated command line parameter. Moreover you can set the value of the used variable that manages the target location of the setup. Just add something like

INSTALLDIR="C:\MyCustomInstallFolder"

to your command line call of the MSIExec.exe and you should be fine.
    0 Kudos
    MichaelU
    Level 12 Flexeran
    Level 12 Flexeran

Quite right. The /d parameter was an example parameter for an imaginary exe; MSI instead allows specifying directories the same way that one specifies properties. Adding INSTALLDIR="chosen-location" to the command line (and silent command line) of your suite's package will pass that along; similarly adding INSTALLDIR="[ChosenLocation]" will pass the value of the suite's property.
    0 Kudos