cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raj
Level 6

FIles are not removing on uninstallation.

I have an installscriptmsi project using installshield 2008 inside that i added some components having files with dynamic file linking.
I followed these steps:
Step A:
1. Set Permanent properties of components to No.
2. Build it and then install it.
3. Uninstall it.
All Components were removed. It is working fine.

Step B:
1. Then i changed the Permanent properties and set to Yes.
2. Build it and then install it.
3. Uninstall it.
All Components were there. They did not remove as the permanent property is set. It is working fine.

And then again i executed step A but after that also all components were there. Installer was not removing those components.
Query: After setting permanent to No again why are the components not uninstalling?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
g_noyer
Level 4

Msi count the number of time the file is installed/uninstalled.

Install A: count is 1
UnInstall A: count is 0
Install B: count is 1
Uninstall B: count is 1 (not removed)
Install A: count is 2
Uninstall A: count is 1, so the file is not removed.

Regards
Gilles Noyer
0 Kudos
raj
Level 6

g.noyer wrote:
Msi count the number of time the file is installed/uninstalled.

Thanks for reply noyer. But can you please tell me how can i resolve this issue as the product is already in use. And from where can i reset this count?
0 Kudos
g_noyer
Level 4

I think that there are not integrated solution, because the counter is a guarantee to never uninstall a file that is used by other setup.

In you case the file seems to be used only by your application.

Maybe you can try to populate the table RemoveFile with you file description and with the InstallMode filed set to msidbRemoveFileInstallModeOnRemove.

Cf http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa371201.aspx
0 Kudos
raj
Level 6

g.noyer wrote:
I think that there are not integrated solution, because the counter is a guarantee to never uninstall a file that is used by other setup.

Is there any way to stop the count increment or just not use this count functionality?
0 Kudos
raj
Level 6

I want to add one more case here for resolution.
If i set component's permanent property to yes then during minor upgrade when i am going to update my files then their count will again increased by 1. And during uninstallation it'll never get uninstalled.
How can we cope up with this situation?
0 Kudos