cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
selwynreynolds
Level 7

Extremely slow install

My InstallScript install program runs VERY slow on 2 different machine (Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP on dual core box). It runs fine on my Dell XPS Windows XP Laptop. It's a simple install - mostly just copying files. Any idea why?

Thanks!:confused:
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Can you verify these machines don't have the ISLogit registry key under HKEY_CURRENT_USER? This key enables the InstallScript trace logging which can cause the install to become extremely slow.
0 Kudos
selwynreynolds
Level 7

Thanks for replying! I checked the registry of the machines that are running very slow and there is not an ISLogit registry key.

Anything else you can think of I should look at?:(
Thanks!
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Unfortunately, there aren't any really good ways of troubleshooting a performance issue with InstallScript projects (MSI installations have timestamps in their verbose logs). You could try the following methods to help isolate the behavior:
- Use a default setup.rul in the project. This will eliminate any custom code as the possible cause.
- Start removing parts of the project. For example, if there are 100 files in the project, remove half of them and test the install to see if the issue is resolve. Continue removing half of what is left until the behavior has been isolated to a file/set of files. If this isolates the issue to certain files, add them to a sample project to see if the behavior can be reproduced in the sample.
0 Kudos
selwynreynolds
Level 7

Thank you for replying. I had hoped for a quicker solution but I will try your suggestion of isolating parts of the project -- harder to do as it runs fine on the machine I have InstallShield on. 😮
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

sreynolds wrote:
My InstallScript install program runs VERY slow on 2 different machine (Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP on dual core box). It runs fine on my Dell XPS Windows XP Laptop. It's a simple install - mostly just copying files. Any idea why?

Thanks!:confused:

Have you been able to track down the problem meanwhile?

I noticed that Microsoft Update activities could slow down InstallScript based installations.
0 Kudos