cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheBundler
Level 3

Errors messages when trying to install an old VB6 application on Vista...

Hi!

We recently upgraded our InstallShield (I think it was V7) to InstallShield 2008 and since then they fail to install quite miserably on Vista.

We get "access denied" errors when trying to update some DLL and dll/ocx registration errors.

I was able to get rid of the "access denied" errors by telling InstallShield to update the file only if not present but I can't seem to get rid of the registration errors.

I thought InstallShield was supposed to take care of these file access errors by delaying their installation until the next reboot but that doesn't seem to work. For the dll/ocx registration errors, I am assuming it's because they are already registered but the error message only says that it failed, not the reason why it did.

The thing I don't understand is that this used to work (on Vista!) with the previous version of InstallShield (I think it was V7) even though that version didn't actually support Vista per se...

Is there a way to obtain the old behavior or to handle these errors gracefully?

Thank you in advance,

TheBundler
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
TheBundler
Level 3

Hi!

I still have the problem describe above...

Is there any way with Installshield to get rid of these registrations error either by tweaking something in the auto-registering components or doing the registration myself (if possible).

Why do I get registration errors, shouldn't Installshield try to perform these failed registration at the next reboot??

Thank you!

TheBundler
0 Kudos
TheBundler
Level 3

The errors I get are:

The following files did not self-register or unregister:

1. C:\Windows\System32\OLEAUT32.DLL
Access is denied.

2. C:\Windows\System32\STDOLE2.TLB
Error accessing the OLE registry.

To continue, click OK; otherwise, click Cancel.

I do not specifically request these files to be installed so my guess are that they are part of "InstallShield Object for Visual Basic 6 Runtime Files" and some of them (the ones it complains about) are I believe already present on Vista.

Is there anything I can do to make sure these files are not installed on Vista while installing the other files in the "InstallShield Object for Visual Basic 6 Runtime Files"?

I also get the following message:

The following files did not self-register or unregister:

1. C:\Windows\System32\dao360.dll
Error accessing the OLE registry.

To continue, click OK; otherwise, click Cancel.

This one, I do request its installation and I think it comes with Vista. How can I dynamically not install this file?

Please help...

Thank you!

TheBundler
0 Kudos