cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heiner_violet
Level 7

Error while updating existing xml file

Hi, I'm using IS 2008, Basic MSI.
My setup writes an xml file to the target machine. If this xml file already exists, then the setup produces an error and rolls back. I have selected the option "Create IF exists" in the xml files view, so I thought there would be no problem if the file already exists.
How can one update an existing xml file?

Best regards, H.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

What do you see in a verbose MSI log? There should be some indication why the update causes a rollback, and it might not be simple presence or absence of the file; perhaps the present file is malformed XML?
0 Kudos
heiner_violet
Level 7

Hi Michael, Thanks for your reply.
In the Msi verbose Log there wasn't shown an error. The rollback is caused here:

ISXmlCosting. return value 1.
MSI (s) (64:1C) [16:44:25:062]: Doing action: ISXmlRollback

As for malformed xml: I'm doing the following. My setup creates an xml-file in a folder c:\programFiles\test. Leaving this same xml-file unmodified in this folder, removing the product and installing it again causes a roll-back. Deleting the xml-file allows reinstallation.
0 Kudos
heiner_violet
Level 7

After reading this bug-report: http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q111225 and after removing the link in the xml files root element (which contained forward slashes), the setup could process an existing xml file. Is there any workaround to process xml files containing slashes in Installshield 2008?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

According to our records, that behavior was resolved back in IS11, so it should not be relevant unless we've had a regression in this area. If it's just a matter of the xpath query misparsing slashes, you might be able to replace the == or use an xpath replace() function, etc. Do you have a (preferably minimal) example of the types of queries that fail so I can verify in house and report?
0 Kudos