cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BarbaraSch
Level 3

Error when loading InstallShield Express 2020 project in VisualStudio 2017

Jump to solution

When I open a Visual Studio 2017 solution, my InstallShield Express project is marked as "unavailable" or "load failed".
When I try to reload the project, the following error message appears: "The operation could not be completed".
When I try to remove the project, I get the same error message as above.

What is strange: The project used to load correctly, but suddenly the load fails. The only thing I did in between was installing Microsoft Office 2019.
Another strange behavior: each time I open a solution containing an InstallShield Express project, I have to enter the activation code.

I use Visual Studio 2017 Version 15.9.19 and InstallShield Express 2020 R1.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution

Hello Jenifer,

thanks you for your reply. I finally found out what the problem was: I entered the activation code for InstallShield Express 2019 instead of 2020. So simple...

I just got confused because after entering the 2019 code, the following message showed: "You have successfully installed InstallShield 2020 Express Edition". This is misleading.

Thanks,

Barbara

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(6) Replies
BarbaraSch
Level 3
I uninstalled InstallShield 2020 R1 and reinstalled it, but the error remains
0 Kudos

Hi @BarbaraSch ,

Since re-installation also doesn't fix the problem,it may not be related to InstallShield.

• Can you try deleting/renaming the Your_Solution_FileName.suo extension to something else and try?
  • In VS 2017 the .suo files are located in a different folder: you can find the .suo file in YourSolutionFolder\.vs\YourSolutionName\v15\.suo.The .vs folder is hidden, and the .suo files is a file without name, with just the .suo extension(Enable the hidden files by going to File exporer->View->Check hidden items
  • If that doesn't solve please try few things mentioned here:https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9079466/visual-studio-popup-the-operation-could-not-be-completed

Thanks,

Jenifer

Hello Jenifer,

thanks for your reply! I deleted the .suo file and did all the steps mentioned in stackoverflow, but I still cannot load the project. In addition, I tried the following:

- Open the solution in Visual Studio 2015 --> same error.

- Create a new solution in Visual Studio 2017 and try to add existing InstallShield Express project (.ise) --> I have to enter activation code, but project is not loaded (nothing happens).

- Create a new solution in Visual Studio 2017 and try to add new InstallShield Express project --> I have to enter activation code, but no project is loaded (nothing happens).

- Right click on InstallShield Express project file (.ise), and select "Open" or "Edit with InstallShield" --> I have to enter activation code, but nothing happens afterwards

I am responsible for 4 applications that use InstallShield Express, and I see no way to install them at the moment. What should I do?

Thanks, 

Barbara

0 Kudos

Hi @BarbaraSch ,

Can you open the installshield setup project file with .isproj extension and see if anything went wrong?Some checks would be on name of the project file which might be misspelled or any other issue?

If it is asking for activation code again and again it doesn't seem to activated properly.Can you try below?

• You can find TSConfig .exe under [PROGRAMFILES]Installshield\<IS-VERSION>\System and try running return command in command line:TSConfig /return
  • As well for activation too:TSConfig /activate
  • If the above steps dint work,please contact support@flexerasoftware.com to deal with activation specific issue

Thanks,

Jenifer

Hi Jennifer,
thank you for your reply! I'm on vacation next week and I will try your suggestions afterwards.
Barbara
0 Kudos

Hello Jenifer,

thanks you for your reply. I finally found out what the problem was: I entered the activation code for InstallShield Express 2019 instead of 2020. So simple...

I just got confused because after entering the 2019 code, the following message showed: "You have successfully installed InstallShield 2020 Express Edition". This is misleading.

Thanks,

Barbara

0 Kudos