cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ReDocRick
Level 3

Error when Trying to call for instance transform

I am becoming ever confused by the windows installer.

So far, i have constructed a frontend to automatically transform the instance of my installer when it detects that the product is installed. This part seems to be working well. The problem i am having is when i actually call msiexec and pass all the arguements, seems the windows installer does not like my arguements. Here is the line i am passing

msiexec.exe /i "C:\Documents and settings\\Desktop\" MSINEWINSTANCE=1 TRANSFORMS=:InstanceId2.mst

Please ignore the fact that yes i am running this from the desktop 🙂

When i pass this line either from my program or from a command line if get an error.

"Invalid command line arguement. Consult the Windows Installer SDK for detailed command line help"

I have found that this error does not occur when i remove MSINEWINSTANCE=1, however it also does not install a new instance. Please drop a post if you have ANY idea at all what i am doing wrong.

Rick
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
ReDocRick
Level 3

Does anyone have a clue about this one?
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

If the instance is already installed, you need to sepcify its product code with the /n arguement in the command line as follows:

msiexec.exe /i "C:\Documents and settings\\Desktop\" /n {00000001-0002-0000-0000-624474736554}
0 Kudos
ReDocRick
Level 3

Unfortunately still no Love there. Getting the Invalid Comment Line Arguement from the Windows Installer again. Im starting to wonder if it something in the ISProductConfigurationTable. If i'm correct, i just need to specify a new ProductCode for each instance right?

Btw, apprecaite your help 🙂
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

You also need to define the InstanceId property with setting 0 to its value in the Property table. If you already have it, I am wondering if your target system meets the minimum requirements. Please see the Microsoft online documentation, Authoring Multiple Instances with Instance Transforms for more information.
0 Kudos