cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sijmen
Level 2

Error merging in Visual C++ 2008 runtime library merge module

Hi,

During an evaluation of InstallShield 2008, I get the following error when trying to merge the Visual C++ 2008 Runtime Library merge module into my install project:

Merging Visual C++ 9.0 CRT (x86) WinSXS MSM: \\Itchy\ImageLink\DevTools\Redist\Modules\Microsoft_VC90_CRT_x86.msm
Merging Visual C++ 9.0 CRT (x86) WinSXS MSM: \\Itchy\ImageLink\DevTools\Redist\Modules\policy_9_0_Microsoft_VC90_CRT_x86.msm
ISDEV : error -6307: Unable to extract one or more files to 'D:\LinkOne\LinkOne.net\Publisher\Publisher 5.0\Install\Sample\Sample\PROJECT_ASSISTANT\Interm\MergeModules\policy_9_0_Microsoft_VC90_CRT_x86.52105B6B_A3EF_3A90_882A_947B287C203A'. The file path is longer than the limit set by the operating system. Change the build location of the current release to a shorter path to resolve this issue.

Changing the release property "Shallow folder structure" to YES, overcomes the error, but then the output from the many different build configurations are combined together in the a single folder stucture. How do I prevent this without re-experiencing the above error?

Regards,
Sijmen.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
SherylSikora
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Try compressing just the feature that includes that merge module. You can do this in the Release Wizard and select a custom compression type.
(If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
0 Kudos
Sijmen
Level 2

Hi,

I resolved the problem by changing the product configuration name from its default value to "PC". That must have shortened the paths enough for the build to complete successfully.

Regards,
Sijmen.
0 Kudos
albatros
Level 3

I have the same problem on standalone build of IS2010 and could not resolve it by compressing the feature.

It seems that it needs some place to extract from merge module and prepare to compress and there I get again the error.

I opened an incident at Flexera for this issue.

As a workaround I now reduced the path length, too but this is not the right solution for us. Our Hudson server is creating the path names automatically, so it is not clear in any case that the problem will not come back to us.

Flo
0 Kudos
slomicka
Level 5

What was the fix for this? Did Flex. ever fix this?
0 Kudos