cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alekol
Level 3

EmbeddedUIHandler

I have a .dll that contains all 3 functions InitializeEmbeddedUI, EmbeddedUIHandler and ShutdownEmbeddedUI.

And i have filled up MsiEmbeddedUI Table.

But none of the functions above are called!
Shoud i call them from a custom action or i didnt properly filled MsiEmbeddedUI Table or is it that these 3 funcions should be in a seperate .dll?

Thanks for an advice.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
alekol
Level 3

anyway i got it working.
But now i have another problem.

I would like to handle only progressbar and not entire User Interface, but somehow the EmbeddedUI always owerriede the internal ui and the resoult of this is a silent installation.

any suggestions?
thanks
0 Kudos
alekol
Level 3

my LOG:

Machine policy value 'MsiDisableEmbeddedUI' is 0
MSI (c) (68:B4) [17:53:31:977]: EEUI - Running MsiEmbeddedUI code
MSI (c) (68:10) [17:53:32:067]: Cloaking enabled.
MSI (c) (68:10) [17:53:32:067]: Attempting to enable all disabled privileges before calling Install on Server
MSI (c) (68:10) [17:53:32:067]: Connected to service for CA interface.
MSI (c) (68:B4) [17:53:32:758]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding MSICLIENTUSESEMBEDDEDUI property. Its value is '1'.
MSI (c) (68:B4) [17:53:32:758]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying CLIENTUILEVEL property. Its current value is '0'. Its new value: '3
Machine policy value 'MsiDisableEmbeddedUI' is 0
MSI (s) (34:44) [17:53:33:209]: EEUI - Disabling MsiEmbeddedUI due to existing external or embedded UI
MSI (s) (34:44) [17:53:33:209]: EEUI - Disabling MsiEmbeddedUI for service because it's not a quiet/basic install
0 Kudos
alekol
Level 3

Once again.
This time a simple question.

Is it possible to use embedded UI just (only) to handdle progressbar and nothing else? (everything else will handle internal ui)?

thanks
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Unfortunately, this is outside the scope of InstallShield since an embedded UI (with the exception of embedded InstallScript MSI) would require writing custom code.

If I remember correctly, it may be possible to accomplish this depending on what value you set for the pdwInternalUILevel (see the InitializeEmbeddedUI callback doc) parameter passed to your InitializeEmbeddedUI entry point, and how the embedded UI handles the INSTALLMESSAGE_SHOWDIALOG message (returning IDOK == the embedded UI handled the message, 0 == Windows Installer should handle the message).

If you need further assistance with this question, you may want to try posting this on an MSI specific forum or contact Microsoft directly.
0 Kudos
haripanicker
Level 3

Hi alekol,

I too am facing the same problem u faced...

none of the functions "InitializeEmbeddedUI, EmbeddedUIHandler and ShutdownEmbeddedUI" are called!

And u seem to have fixed that problem.. may i know how u fixed it?? I cant find out wat the problem is...

can u help me...

thankz hari
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

So did anyone get the EmbeddedUI to work correclty for the Progress bar?

We are creating our first chained install project and since the internal progress bar dialog does not show progress on the chained installs we would like to see if we can do this through the EmbeddedUI. But since we have not had any installs that required this we do not have experience with it.

So if it is possible to use the EmbeddedUI to show the progress bar with updates for each chained install package then that would be great.

Thanks,
0 Kudos