cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aupadhayay
Level 3

Error building

Hello,

I am trying to build a Basic MSI Project in InstallShield 2016 Professional Edition.

It gives the following two errors:

(1) File C:\Windows\system32\iisreset.exe not found. Cannot stream into the Binary table. (Error Code: -1024)

(2) The English (United States) value for the string 'ID_STRING7839' does not contain a legitimate value for table Directory column DefaultDir (Error Code: -7354)

For the (1) the file is present in the location but still the error. Also tried to browse and add the file, but the file is not shown when browsed.
Tried to give permission but didnt help. Is there something I am missing?

For (2) I have other project files which are working fine without this entry in the Directory table, so am not sure what am I missing here.

Please give in your inputs.

Thanks,
Amar
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
chad_petersen
Level 9

The first error is saying the Binary table - This is an internal table used by the installer to store items that are needed by the installer itself in order to do its work, but are not intended to be installed onto the target system.

In this case IISRESET.EXE is part of the Windows operating system and likely gets installed as part of IIS - Internet Information Services.

Do you have any Web Apps or Virtual Directories defined in this installer? Files can often get locked by some running process and doing an IISRESET command can free files that are locked by an IIS worker process. InstallShield may be trying to automatically include the IISRESET.EXE for its own use during the running of your installer.

The fact that you cannot browse to the file could indicate something with User Account Control on your own computer.

Sometimes the ISM files get corrupted. I've had it happen dozens of times over the years. Nothing to do in this case but drop back to a saved working copy of the project or in a worst case scenario - simply start over again on a project. Hopefully not the case for you, but something to keep in mind.

Can you determine what change you made that started causing these errors? Perhaps backtrack some and you might be able to carve out the piece causing the problem, build, then add it back in and try to build again.

Chad
0 Kudos
Gilbert305
Level 2

aupadhayay wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to build a Basic MSI Project in InstallShield 2016 Professional Edition.

It gives the following two errors:

(1) File C:\Windows\system32\iisreset.exe not found. Cannot stream into the Binary table. (Error Code: -1024)

(2) The English (United States) value for the string 'ID_STRING7839' does not contain a legitimate value for table Directory column DefaultDir (Error Code: -7354)

For the (1) the file is present in the location but still the error. Also tried to browse and add the file, but the file is not shown when browsed.
Tried to give permission but didnt help. Is there something I am missing?

For (2) I have other project files which are working fine without this entry in the Directory table, so am not sure what am I missing here.

Please give in your inputs.

Thanks,
Amar

Thanks for the information.

[/HR]

9apps
0 Kudos
Nick_Umanski
Level 7

For point 2, the error is in the String table, not the directory table. Now all strings IDs that begin ID_STRING... have been created by your actions, although you might not be aware of them at the time. When you create a variety of elements (some of which may be entries in the Directory table), InstallShield automatically adds an entry into the String table with this default ID which you can and should change to something more meaningful. Obviously you have only added this particular string in this one project, hence why other projects don't encounter the error. Just go to the string table track it down and it should be fairly obvious what is wrong. Typically you have got an excess opening or closing bracket without the corresponding opposite bracket.
0 Kudos