cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grparsec
Level 7

Error building QuickPatchin IS2009

I am trying to build a QuickPatch but the build crashes everytime and I get the following error:

"The InstallShield IDE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We’re sorry for the inconvenience. "

The Error sigature says something like:
AppName: isdev.exe
ModVer: 8.0.50727.1433
AppVer: 15.0.0.498
Offset 00008aa0
ModeName: msvcr80.dll

I have made many quick patched with the previous versions before and never faced this error. I have installed SP1 and SP2 for IS2009 but they didn't help.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

Please apply the hotfix attached to this post by following the steps below, and let me know if it solves the issue.

[LIST=1]
  • Install InstallShield 2009 SP2.
  • Make a backup copy of C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2009\System\ISWIBuild.dll
  • Copy the attached ISWIBuild.dll to the C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2009\System folder
  • 0 Kudos
    grparsec
    Level 7

Thank you. The hotfix worked.
    0 Kudos
    grparsec
    Level 7

The hotfix removed the build error that I was getting when trying to build the quickpatch. There is another problem that I have now with this quickpatch; When I run the Update.exe and get to "Welcome to Patch 01 for MyProject" and I click "Update" button, it open another "Welcome to Patch 01 for MyProject" dialog window and this happens over and over again when I click "Update" button. So basically the patch setup doesn't work, it just opens welcome dialogs and keeps on doing this instead of progressing with the install.
    I've never seen this behavior before. Any solution for this?
    0 Kudos
    hidenori
    Level 17

I tested it with a very simple project that only updates a .NET assembly, and the patch was successfully installed without having such a strange behavior that you report. I suggest that you create a new QuickPatch project that will update only one existing file, and see if the problem is reproducible.
    0 Kudos
    grparsec
    Level 7

I tested it with a simple project and it worked. I don't know why the quickpatch behaves strangely with my real project!!!
    0 Kudos
    kerbas
    Level 2

grparsec wrote:
    The hotfix removed the build error that I was getting when trying to build the quickpatch. There is another problem that I have now with this quickpatch; When I run the Update.exe and get to "Welcome to Patch 01 for MyProject" and I click "Update" button, it open another "Welcome to Patch 01 for MyProject" dialog window and this happens over and over again when I click "Update" button. So basically the patch setup doesn't work, it just opens welcome dialogs and keeps on doing this instead of progressing with the install.
    I've never seen this behavior before. Any solution for this?

This KB article helped for the building problem: http://kb.acresso.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalID=Q200307

But the second problem is still here: Update.exe only opens those dialogs over and over after clicking Update>. Any solutions available?

I'm using IS2009 Premier SP2.
    0 Kudos
    grparsec
    Level 7

I was told that I should use the Patch view instead of QuickPatch because QuickPatch has some problems with my Prerequisites.
    0 Kudos