Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ciberr_bob
Level 5

Error 27520 while updating Doc type XML's

hi all,
I've been using a demo version of Installshield 2009 SP1 version 15

my requirement was to dynamically update an xml file which has doc type definitions. i did an import of the xml file to update the xml at runtime. but while installation the installer fires
error 27520 Error opening the xml file

i even learnt that this was a bug in the earlier versions and i tried the hotfix as well..but the fix i downloaded wasn't for my version of Installshield.

Please suggest me the workarounds for this issue and hotfixes if any.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(18) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

What project type are you working with? If Basic MSI, try backing up and replacing the file \Redist\Language Independent\i386\ISXmlCfg.dll with the one in the attached zip file. Then rebuild and try again. Note that this isn't not a 100% compatible replacement for the file; attempting to use the view's install/uninstall testing may fail and crash with this file in place. However it should include a fix for Issue IOB-000004430.
0 Kudos
ciberr_bob
Level 5

hey Michael,
that was a timely help mate...really solved the issue..thanks a ton
0 Kudos
TheTraveler
Level 8

I know you may have the problem solved, but here is a different approach that you can consider. If you are using an Install Shield Script project or a Install Shield Script MSI project, then this is a viable option for you. This link will demonstrate how you can use COM objects to open, read, modify, and save an XML document without the use of calling a DLL. You see, install shield script has the ability to create COM objects in the code. The link above reads and modifies a web.config file which is XML encoded.

I hope you find this information informative.
0 Kudos
ciberr_bob
Level 5

hey Michael,
the dll fails to update the xml element contents dynamically.
in the sense if i try to update the xml with a static content it works fine...but if i try to update with a property value as obtained by the UI dialog box ....it clears of the element contents.

i've made sure i'm making use of public property by puttin it all caps...

n thanks travaller...i'll have a look at the link suggested by you.

can anyone help me ....atleast letme know which version has solution for updating a doctype xml with dynamic content...plz its real urgent...!!
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Hmm. Does it fail that way with all properties, or only ones that you have the user insert - try with ones like [ProductName] or [INSTALLDIR] to see? I guess there may be more incompatibilities in this preview code than I'd hoped for. I'll see when I can find time to look into this.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I found some time and have fixed the property resolution; I'll try to upload a new version as soon as possible (probably tomorrow).
0 Kudos
ciberr_bob
Level 5

yes Michael, it fails even with the [INSTALLDIR]
i tried testing it with both [INSTALLDIR] and a userdefined property. It failed for both cases.

i really appreciate your efforts mate, help regarding this issue will be of great help to me. Thanks for your time mate
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Here's the updated version; follow the instructions from the previous post (second in this thread) for updating it, and notes on caveats. Let me know if this gives you any more trouble. 🙂
0 Kudos
ciberr_bob
Level 5

Thanks michael,
i'll look at this mate and i'll defnitely let you know the status. Thanks a ton again for your efforts.
0 Kudos
Sairen
Level 7

I was seeing this issue, and the new DLL fixed it for me. Thanks for the help, Michael.
0 Kudos
ciberr_bob
Level 5

MichaelU wrote:
Here's the updated version; follow the instructions from the previous post (second in this thread) for updating it, and notes on caveats. Let me know if this gives you any more trouble. 🙂

Hey Michael,
Its party time mate...thanks a lot for this favour. defnitely worth a drink, toast to michael for resolving xml issue...Merry christmas mate...!!:)
0 Kudos
Sairen
Level 7

I'm also seeing the same error in an installer built in InstallShield 2008 - do you have a similar fix for that product?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Cheers, glad it's working for both of you. We'll make sure to get this properly integrated into the next release. 😉

As for using with IS2008, subject to the same caveats only moreso (with regards to the likelihood of some IDE incompatibilities), the DLL should be compatible with the MSI tables at runtime. If you want to test it quickly, use something like ORCA to substitute it into the binary table of a copy of your built MSI.
0 Kudos
ernst80
Level 2

Hi MichaelU,

Thanks for posting this fix. However, our customer requires to use only official updates for Installshield so I cannot use it.

Can you tell me, when this will be included in an official update? If it already is, can you tell me the name of the update, since there are so many large ones and downloading them is pretty slow?

Thanks in advance,
Ernst
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Hi Ernst - at this point there is no official version of this change. It's neither fully backwards compatible nor purely a bug fix, and is thus not suitable for our standard hotfix/SP process. I would expect to see this capability in our next major release, but I couldn't say if that will fit your timescale.

Perhaps your customer would be willing to accept the previously attached DLL as it was built in the official fashion and is signed by Acresso.
0 Kudos
MaverickC
Level 2

MichaelU wrote:

Hi Michael

I had tried the ISXmlCfg-84770.zip that you posted, unfortunately, it didn’t work for me to fix the error 27520. I am using IS2009 Basic MSI.

The scenario is as the followings:
1. I had built the required file using the IS.
2. Next, I installed the setup file that I had created.
3. The changes made for the setting had been stored in the xml file.
4. I reinstalled using the setup file again.

However, the error 27520 pops up. Any suggestions how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Hi MaverickC, are you able to check with a copy of InstallShield 2010 to see if it works there? If it's working there, I would strongly suggest you use that instead. If it doesn't work, I would suggest filing a bug report with our support department so we can address this.
0 Kudos
MaverickC
Level 2

MichaelU wrote:
Hi MaverickC, are you able to check with a copy of InstallShield 2010 to see if it works there? If it's working there, I would strongly suggest you use that instead. If it doesn't work, I would suggest filing a bug report with our support department so we can address this.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Unfortunately, I was unable to get a fresh copy of IS2010, for the IS2009 was bought not long ago. Do you have any other workarounds that might be able to solve the problem? Or is there any other alternatives? Any suspected scenario that might lead to this problem?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers
Maverick
0 Kudos