cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bbarton11
Level 5

Error 1721 or 1722 on Custom Action

Hi All,

I'm having a tremendously frustrating time with getting error 1721 or error 1722 when trying to run a Custom Action to run a simple Basic MSI file. The error I'm getting is this:

CustomAction AddUser_dbowner returned actual error code 1618 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action AddUser_dbowner, location: C:\CheckSix\_Deploy\SQL\, command: C:\Windows\system32\msiexec.exe /i C:\CheckSix\_Deploy\SQL\AddUser_dbowner.msi /qn C6_USERNAME=win732-test\c6user IS_SQLSERVER_SERVER=(local)
Action ended 17:04:45: AddUser_dbowner. Return value 3.
Action ended 17:04:45: INSTALL. Return value 3.

Everything looks ok in the statement and I have it running after another Custom Action which runs fine and launches after InstallFinalize.

Any ideas?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

That's expected (error 1618 is "another MSI package is running"): There's no single perfect way to launch an MSI package from another MSI package. Depending on your intentions and intended target systems, chained MSI packages could be an option, or (depending on your InstallShield version) you might look into a Suite installer project or a prerequisite to launch the multiple MSI packages.
0 Kudos
bbarton11
Level 5

Thanks for your reply, Robert! What's happening with my installer is that I am dropping the files down, configuring stuff, etc. All of that is working. I have a custom action running after InstallFinalize that restores databases from a folder that is on the machine. Next CA I'm trying to run will add the user (specified in the install and saved as USERNAME property) against the server name in IS_SQLSERVER_SERVER. I can't seem to get that last CA to run correctly. Originally I did it as an InstallScript but was unable to pass a PROPERTY to it (plus I think you can't run an InstallScript while an MSI is working even if it's run after InstallFinalize). I recreated as a Basic MSI and it works great from a CMDline and can pass the USERNAME and IS_SQLSERVER_SERVER properties to it and all is well. The problem is happening when I launch the Basic MSI from a CA.

Any way you know of to achieve my desired results?
0 Kudos