cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
konanedojawa
Level 3

Error 1001 during installation

I'm new in installshield , i created basic msi project using installshield 2010 .. build is succeeded , but unofrortunately when i tried to install the application and when it is about to finish the installtion , it gets two errors "Error 1001" then the installation rollback .. i wasted alot of time searching for a solution for that error , but i failed 😞

can any one help me :confused:
thanks in advance
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Error 1001 is often due to a problem in a .NET Installer Class. Unfortunately for .NET Installer Classes this single error code corresponds to several different underlying problems. In general I prefer to avoid use of .NET Installer Classes because they do not conform well with Windows Installer best practices.
0 Kudos
konanedojawa
Level 3

but i'm using the installer class to attach the db used by my application , is there a way instead of installer class to attach the db ??!!

thanks for reply
0 Kudos
bashenfelter
Level 3

Two issues I ran into using installer classes that resulted in getting the "1001" error:
[LIST=1]
  • Make sure the correct version of InstallUtilLib.dll is installed in the MSI. If installing on a 32-bit OS, you'll need the 32-bit version. If installing on a 64-bit OS, you'll need the 64-bit version. Search the InstallShield help for where you specify the version of InstallUtilLib.dll.
  • Within your installer class make sure you call the base class method of every method you're overriding. For example, in your Install() method, make sure the first thing you do is call base.Install().

Other than that, I would simplify my installer class to determine if it's a problem with the installer loading the class vs. a problem with the logic inside the class. Adding some logging inside your installer class helps too.
  • 0 Kudos
    konanedojawa
    Level 3

for installutillib.dll , i didn't find in installshield help what is the correct version for my OS , i have windows xp professional and i'm using installutill version "2.0.50727.3053 " , is that right? :confused:

for the installer class i'm sure that i call the base class method of every method i'm overriding

thanks
    0 Kudos
    Christopher_Pai
    Level 16

Run, do not walk, away from the installer class custom action. They are pure garbage. We have some 5 year old merge modules ( VDPROJ junk ) that still have InstallUtil CA's in them because DEV won't refactor that old baseline. They continue to be a source of trouble and the only thing that comforts me is when someone comes to me and mentions '1001' I laugh them out of my office and tell them sorry, I don't support that as I didn't write that code.

Seriously, if you need to attach a DB, look at the built-in SQL script executing in InstallShield. If for some reason you still need a custom action, take a look at WiX's DTF. It'll package your CA's as Type 1 C++ DLL style which you can then consume from InstallShield.
    0 Kudos