cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
echiang
Level 3

Error 0x80040705 String accessed out of bonds

I created a InstallShield 2012 setup and test on Win7 Professional SP1. If I uninstall the software and then reinstall right away (without rebooting), the error comes up and setup aborted. What can cause this? Do I need to reboot to settle the uninstall before I can reinstall?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
enanrum
Level 9

No offense - but Really! This is a very vague question...

What did the install do? Did you just drop some files and uninstall? Did the uninstaller ask you to reboot? Try running uninstaller with loggin turned on.

Add this key to registry to enable logging:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]
"Logging"="viwearucmox"
0 Kudos
echiang
Level 3

Thanks. I will turn on logging. Basically, my install and uninstall doesn't require reboot. I just deliver files to different destinations and setup registry keys (install) and remove files, registry keys (uninstall). Symptom seems like after my first installation and uninstallation, I cannot reinstall again. The error always comes up. It doesn't matter I reboot the system after uninstallation, the install just won't pass after the first one.
0 Kudos
echiang
Level 3

I debugged the installer this morning and it run fine in debugger. I have no clues what's going on. My original test system is a Win7 VM. I will start testing on a real Win7 PC and see what's the result.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Error 0x80040705 from InstallScript is caused by attempting to access a subscript of a string variable beyond the current size of the string. For example:

sTest = "hello, world";
sTest[1025] = '1'; // subscript index 1025 is outside the bounds of the string

If no code in your script accesses strings in this manner, it is possible that some InstallScript function called by your script is encountering this issue. However, in order to troubleshoot this issue further, it would be necessary to have a sample project or sample script code that can reproduce the behavior.
0 Kudos