cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sam_Cozer
Level 2

Environment Variables

Is it possible to create environment variables, then read them during the install process and lastly launch an external application which reads the environment variables values to complete registration? I haven't licensed install shield express yet, just downloaded the Limited Edition which seems to lack these features.

Thanks in advance
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

You may want to schedule a custom action that launches your external application after the register product. Please refer to the following help topics for more information about custom actions.

0 Kudos
Sam_Cozer
Level 2

Thank you Hidenori,

So if I understood you correctly. I can use an "after event" trigger to launch an application and in this application I can take care of the system env variables.

Will I have access of the install application path to pass it as a parameter to my registration app?

And if I understood correctly the minimum level of InstallShield where I can do this is the express, not the limited edition.

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Custom actions scheduled for After Register Product are deferred custom actions, and therefore they do not have access to Windows Installer properties. In order to handle the application installation path, you need another custom action scheduled for Before File Transfer that passes the INSTALLDIR property to your custom action that is scheduled for After Register Product through CustomActionData. Please see Accessing or Setting Windows Installer Properties Through Deferred, Commit, and Rollback Custom Actions help topic for more information about CustomActionData. This requirement should be able to be accomplished using Limited Edition.
0 Kudos