cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datamagnet
Level 5

Enable Minor Upgrade Does the setup have to be named Setup.exe?

My setup is called myapplicationname_setup.exe

I want to update my applications exe files since we made some Minor changes to the code.

IS 2012 - from the Help it says

How Do You Get a Minor Upgrade to Work?:
If the latest version of your installation has the same product code as the previous version of your installation, you can apply a minor upgrade to update your product. By simply building a release that includes Setup.exe, your latest installation will be minor upgrade enabled. Setup.exe can detect when a previous version of your product exists on the target machine. When it detects this, it runs the rest of your installation in minor upgrade mode.

OK, I know code is unambiguous, but how about that statement in RED. Do I really have to call my setup "setup.exe", or is it OK to name as I have done .i.e myapplicationname_setup.exe?:confused:

Is it really looking for setup.exe or just looking for a setup naming match?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Any replacement name for setup.exe is fine (of course if it doesn't end in .exe you'd have other problems) - the contents, and in particular the MSI GUIDs are important. We just have to refer to it as something, and "the file commonly known as setup.exe" is ... cumbersome. 🙂

Note that Windows Installer minor upgrades do require the name of the .msi file to match, however, so be sure to keep that file's name consistent across your builds.
0 Kudos
datamagnet
Level 5

Thanks a lot for the info. I am just beginning to learn how to update my applications. BTW - I had one problem where one of my executables i was trying to update was not updating and discovered that when I made the exe from my application development interface (VB6) I had forgotten to set the versioning properties to auto increment, so even though I was making code changes, the executable never got overwritten on install because the versions were the same.:eek:
0 Kudos