cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adrien
Level 4

Empty values in ini files

Hi,

I'm experiencing a problem with ini files in InstallShield : if I add a new keyword with no value in the ini file change view, or if I import ini file with empty values, InstallShield automatically converts empty values into spaces in the IniFile table. If I remove the space directly in IniFile table, InstallShield restores immediatly. As a result, the product installation initialize ini files with spaces instead of empty values.

I want :

[IniSection]
IniKey=

I have (sharp symbolizes a space) :

[IniSection]
IniKey=#

If I upgrade this ini file, regardless the keyword action ("do not overwrite"/"replace old value"), I get a new space :

[IniSection]
IniKey=##

And so on...

To counter this, I've tried to replace empty values in the ini file change view with curly braces ( {} ), as we can do in "set property" custom actions (MSI type number 51) to clear a property. Curly braces appear correctly in the IniFile table, and I have the expected result when installing the product (empty values).

Is this the right way to do this?

Thank you in advance,

Adrien
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Adrien
Level 4

Hi,

I received confirmation from Flexera:

The Ini file changes view ultimately populates the IniFile table and as the value field takes a data type of formatted, using the syntax of formatted data types such as curly braces would be the proper way to do this.

Let's go for curly braces, then!

Adrien
0 Kudos