cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
james_w
Level 3

Embed Prerequisites into install

Hi All,

Using IS 2009 Pro, I am installing an App on Vista that requires the latest MFC 9 libs. Part of the install is to register COM objects (COM components requiring the 9.0 C libraries). On Vista, if I just use the MS 9.0 C mergemodules, the install fails (as apparently Vista installs the MFC redists after the COM registration). Side Note: On XP this install works fine.

To get around this problem I have made a prerequisite that always runs vcredist_x86.exe, the goal being that the MFC libs are fully installed PRIOR to any installation / registering of my app.

As this is to be a one file Web Deployment package, I have gone to Release / Setup.exe and set 'Installshield Prerequisite Location' to 'Extract From Setup.exe' in the belief that this would embed all prerequisites into my setup.exe file. Problem is, when I run the built install, at the prerequisite stage, setup.exe opens an Explorer window showing a temporary folder with the unpacked vcredist_x86.exe file in it. Then it justs sits there. I was expecting and hoping that the MFC installer would just run. Is this possible?

Sorry for the long post, wanted to give a thorough understanding.

Thanks for any help!
James
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
james_w
Level 3

Well, it looks like I answered this one myself. Turns out I hadn't set the file to run in the prerequisite editor. ๐Ÿ˜›

My bad. Thanks anyway!

James
0 Kudos