cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrislynn5
Level 6

Dynamic ODBC resource DSN Naming

I've researched this and it appears many have asked, no answers to this question. I want to use a property that I set during the UI (via dialog) to name my DSN. How can I accomplish this? :confused:

Thank you
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
chrislynn5
Level 6

I have been able to manually insert the DSN's (and their dynamically set name) via the registry keys but was hoping to see if there was a solution with using the DSN ODBC Resources option in System configuration.
0 Kudos
Matthias1967
Level 5

The Description field of the ODBCDataSource table, which holds the DSN name, does not accept "formatted" text (which may contain properties), but only static text. This means that it is not possible to set dynamical DSN names via the InstallShield ODBC options.

You might use the registry instead (as you say you have done). I have written a custom action that uses SQL to modify ODBCDataSource.Description.
0 Kudos
chrislynn5
Level 6

Yea, I guess just altering the registry will work. Too bad the ODBC area doesn't have that flexibility.
I did find placing into registry manually is easy, I just create a new feature, add a registry component to that feature, and the key entries are so easy for DSN's (at least that is :))
0 Kudos