cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crewsr
Level 3

Duplicate components

Hi,

I'm sort of new with IS2008 and am currently sort of groping my way through creating some installation packages, so please bear with me.

I have a project that I'm working on which I started with the Project Assistant. I added my files, and completed the assistant (but did not build anything). I can see by looking at the Setup Design and Components view that components are automatically created and associated with those files.

Come to find out I put the files in the incorrect folder, so I moved them using the files and folders view. Now, when I look at the components, I see that instead of updating the existing components with the new file locations, this has created a whole new set of components and has left the originals, which now have no files associated. Is this how it's supposed to work? Does it matter? Is there a way to automatically prune the 'orphaned' compenents? I can't select more than one component at a time, so I have to delete and confirm them all one-at-a-time. Is there a better way to do this (other than put the file in the wrong place to begin with)?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Jaber007
Level 3

New to IS as well. Using Installshield 11.5 professional and have the same issue. I'm modifying an existing installer and deleted several features, but that did not delete the components associated with it. Problem is I cannot mass select orphaned components to delete. I have hundreds to orphaned components and deleting each individually is real waste of time!! There must be an easier way. Please HELP or comment!!!
0 Kudos
Dan_Galender
Level 10

crewsr, yes I believe this is how it should work. You deleted the files, but components can contain more than just files. If those same components also had, say registry changes, or some other change contained in components, you wouldn't necessarily want to delete those changes if you simply removed the files. If you delete the files, the components remain (even if now empty). If you delete the components, though, the files will be removed from the project.

Similarly, Jaber007, while your scenario is a different one, when you delete features, you don't necessarily want to delete components associated with them (they may also be associated with other features or you may want to reassociate them with new or existing features). So while you may want them deleted in this case, I don't know that you (or any of us) would wanted them deleted all the time. I probably would join you in a request to allow multiple components to be selected (for deletion, move, etc.). [Just my opinion.]
0 Kudos
Jaber007
Level 3

Thank you for your reply!
Yes I completely agree with you.

A quicker way to delete is to use the delete button on the keyboard and scroll keys to highlight orphaned components. Saved me from right-clicking through all those components. Just be careful not get hyper-active and delete non-orphaned components! 😄
0 Kudos
Dan_Galender
Level 10

Yes, the delete key (especially if you disable the warning message) can be *very* effective. Just be careful that it doesn't become *too* effective (deleting components you didn't mean to delete) 😞 .

I recommend making a backup copy of your project before doing a mass deletion, just in case.:)
0 Kudos
LuiFigo
Level 2

If you are finding problem in deleting mass files then the easier and quicker method is to use a duplicate file deleter it will remove all duplicate files from your system.
0 Kudos