cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
esiemiat
Level 9

Duplicate ProgID's

I have three files that share ProgID's XLPages.Main and XLPages.MyExcel. These files are mutually exclusive, meaning if one is on the system the other two will not be. The problem I am having is with COM extraction. When I extract the COM information for one of these files, the ProdID names dissapear from the other components.

Why is this the case? Is there a work around for this?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

My guess, without data to work with, is that the COM extraction for that file (or each of them if the behavior applies to all) finds and sets up all the ProgIDs. If you follow the schema of the relevant tables, the ProgID ties to a single Class, and a Class ties to a single component. I'm not sure exactly why the extraction process overwrites these links, rather than respecting the ones already in your project, but I think that's likely to be the cause of this behavior.

If you're performing static COM extraction, just go and move them back to your desired component (worst case, edit it in the Class table, Component_ column by using the Direct Editor). If you need dynamic extraction, it may be worth changing the registration of the DLL to avoid writing the ProgIDs in question, but I don't have enough information to say if that's even technically correct.
0 Kudos
esiemiat
Level 9

Thank you for your reply. It appears that the ProgID table can not store multiple ProgID's of the the same name. What was happening was that as each file's COM information wa extracted the previous file's ProgID information was getting overwritten.

As a workaround I had to turn off COM extraction for these files and switch them to Self Registering.
0 Kudos