cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karthic
Level 4

Driver registration through Install shield

I have created a basic MSI project which will be supported for both 32 bit and 64 bit Operating system. I am doing driver registration with the help of Installshield. So my driver registration should take place for both 32 bit and 64 bit OS.
I have created a feature(i.e.Feature1) and under that two subfeatures (Sub feature1, Sub feature2) to support 32 bit and 64 bit OS.
What ever settings I am making for sub feature1 is getting reflected for Subfeature2 for OS support in driver registration process.
Note: My application is getting failed in "MSIProcessDrivers" customaction in one of the OS.
Also I tried the settings in the Template summary. But it didnot workout.
Please help me how can I run the same application in both 32 bit and 64 bit OS.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Holger_G
Level 10

Using DIFxAPP and MSI you must create a separate MSI installation package for each target platform (but it´s possible to use a single InstallShield project).

If you have not, please refer to this white paper.
0 Kudos
karthic
Level 4

That means using a single application package it is not possible to perform Driver Registration for 32 bit and 64 bit Operating system.
Please clarify my doubt.
I went through the reference document where it talks about the registration process through Code(C++)

Is there any way in Install Shield 2009 to perform Driver Registration for 32 bit and 64 bit OS.
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

karthic wrote:
That means using a single application package it is not possible to perform Driver Registration for 32 bit and 64 bit Operating system.
Please clarify my doubt.

Yes, if you talk about using a Basic MSI project type and using (built-in) DIFxApp.

What you could do
-create separate MSI packages of your complete setup (using DIFxApp)
or
-use Transaction Processing (as of MSI 4.5) for the driver installation (create separate MSI packages of your driver installation) (Chained .msi packages)
or
-create a single MSI package and use DPInst.exe to install your driver packages (complex)
or
-find another solution 🙂
0 Kudos