cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cjyap68
Pilgrim

Does Installshield 2015 limited edition support Visual studio community 2015 edition?

I have installed Installshield 2015 limited edition on my laptop, but I am unable to find Installshield project type in VS community 2015 edition.:confused:
However, it does appear in VS community 2013 edtion. Does that mean Installshield 2015 limited edtion does not support VS community 2015 edition?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
hidenori
Pilgrim

Re: Does Installshield 2015 limited edition support Visual studio community 2015 edition?

Installshield 2015 Limited Edition does not support Visual Studio Community. Visual Studio Professional, Premium or Ultimate edition is required.
0 Kudos
spreadsheet
Pilgrim

Re: Does Installshield 2015 limited edition support Visual studio community 2015 edition?

hidenori wrote:
Installshield 2015 Limited Edition does not support Visual Studio Community. Visual Studio Professional, Premium or Ultimate edition is required.


Is this simply an oversight that needs to be fixed? After comparing the Community and Professional versions online, and chatting with a VS support rep, it seemed that the only material difference between the VS 2015 Community and Professional versions was simply the licensing terms.

Licensing terms shouldn't affect whether InstallShield LE installs, from a technical perspective. Moreover, since these are both free products, I would not think that one would require a premium version of the other. So, if this is not simply an oversight by Flexera, would you please provide any rationale on the decision not to support VS 2015 Community? I'm scratching my head on the logic here.
0 Kudos
maarten1
Pilgrim

Re: Does Installshield 2015 limited edition support Visual studio community 2015 edition?

In my view that is absolutely unacceptable. This means I will have to keep using VS2013 to work with my setup projects. Please reconsider this policy.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
spreadsheet
Pilgrim

Re: Does Installshield 2015 limited edition support Visual studio community 2015 edition?

Completely agree. Both VS 2015 Community and Installshield LE are free products, so why would you need to pay to use one with the other? I suspect that this is simply an oversight by Flexera, as this just doesn't make any sense at all. Comparing VS 2015 Professional to Community, the only material difference is the licensing terms, so it seems doubtful that there is any technical rationale for this. I again (my previous post here was "moderated") call on Flexera to fix this perceived oversight, or explain the rationale.

I am continuing to use VS 2012 Pro with InstallShield 2013 LE, as Office add-ins built for Office 2013 work in Office 2016, so there is no pressing need to upgrade in my case.

maarten1 wrote:
In my view that is absolutely unacceptable. This means I will have to keep using VS2013 to work with my setup projects. Please reconsider this policy.
0 Kudos
marvalar
Pilgrim

Re: Does Installshield 2015 limited edition support Visual studio community 2015 edition?

spreadsheet wrote:
Completely agree. Both VS 2015 Community and Installshield LE are free products, so why would you need to pay to use one with the other? I suspect that this is simply an oversight by Flexera, as this just doesn't make any sense at all. Comparing VS 2015 Professional to Community, the only material difference is the licensing terms, so it seems doubtful that there is any technical rationale for this. I again (my previous post here was "moderated") call on Flexera to fix this perceived oversight, or explain the rationale.

I am continuing to use VS 2012 Pro with InstallShield 2013 LE, as Office add-ins built for Office 2013 work in Office 2016, so there is no pressing need to upgrade in my case.


I completely agree, it makes no sense...
0 Kudos
dgeorge
Pilgrim

Re: Does Installshield 2015 limited edition support Visual studio community 2015 edition?

I also completely agree. It makes no sense that ISLE will(!) install itself in VS2013 Community but not(!) in VS2015 Community. Further, since Microsoft seems to think that ISLE is included in VS2015 Community, I hope that Flexera and Microsoft can come to some kind of resolution. In the meantime, Visual Studio Installer Projects can be added to VS2015 Community and it seems to be even more capable than ISLE.
0 Kudos

Re: Does Installshield 2015 limited edition support Visual studio community 2015 edition?

Actually, InstallShield LE 2015 do work in Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition. If you try to open InstallShield Setup project created in previous VS version, it will perfectly work in VS 2015 Community, will be editable and compilable. So for now the workaround is to create a project in VS 2013 or earlier, and then open it in VS 2015.
Anyway it's very strange and it would be good if we could have full VS 2015 Community support, including the ability to create new setup projects.
0 Kudos
ftamminga
Pilgrim

One simple question

hidenori wrote:
Installshield 2015 Limited Edition does not support Visual Studio Community. Visual Studio Professional, Premium or Ultimate edition is required.


Why?

(And because my reply is too short to submit, I just added this useless line of text)
0 Kudos
dr_eck
Pilgrim

Any Updates?

Have there been any updates on this issue? I'd really appreciate it if Flexera would start supporting VS2015 CE (Community Edition), or at least explain why not.
0 Kudos