cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Johannes_T
Level 6

DoInstall and many inx files

Hi, I've got a problem with DoInstall. I porting parts of an IS3 nistallation to is2009. The installation is divided in many inx (actually ins in IS3) files and I need to do the following:

Start setup.exe with setup.ins (ok)
Start script1.inx, script2.inx
Do the rest of setup.inx

I guess this is what DoInstall was created for. But other than in older IS version, the IS2009 version of DoInstall doesn't care about the inx file i sepcify. It uses the inx' path to start the setup.exe placed in that folder.

I really need something to do this. One thing that came to mins was, that I can use LAunchApp with "setup.exe -fScriptFile" instead of DoInstall. But that current version of setup.exe seems to be not aware of the -f switch.

Any ideas?
Jo
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

DoInstall was changed with the script engine architecture improvements made in InstallShield 12 so that it is now basically a wrapper around LaunchApplication that tries to launch a setup.exe (the engine no longer supports running scripts with DoInstall as this was part of a large source of instability in previous versions of InstallShield). Additionally, the -f parameter was removed around Pro 5.x or Pro 6.x.

What is your overall goal with these old setups? Are you trying to migrate them to a newer version of InstallShield or are you just trying to run them with a new project?
0 Kudos
Johannes_T
Level 6

Hi, thanks for your answer.
The long time goal is to migrate the old scripts to a new Install Shield Version. The old IS3 engine has some bugs and my company is afraid that MS stops 16 bit support sooner or later (OK, with Win7 we've got some time).
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Unfortunately, there have been a significant number of changes in the InstallScript engine since Pro 3 (one of the biggest was changing to event driven scripts in Pro 6), which will likely necessitate manually migrating the functionality of the previous scripts into a new InstallScript project. You may try looking at the "Migrating from InstallShield Professional 5.x" and "Migrating from InstallShield 6.x" as these provide some information that could be useful (there isn't any 'migrating from Pro 3' document available).

Regarding 16-bit functionality, all 64-bit versions of Windows will not run 16-bit executables. There is some special detection of 16-bit installers included in 64-bit versions of Windows to force launching a 32-bit version of the installer, but this will only work for IS Pro 5.x installations that used a 16-bit stub launcher.
0 Kudos