cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chriscw
Level 6

Do I need to run Installshield on 64 bit Windows 7 to make a setup for a 64 bit app?

Hi,

I think if I understand the Installshield help correctly I will need to run 64bit Windows 7 on my build PC if I want to build setups which support installing to 64 bit platforms. Like I suspect many other users we are wanting to support both 32bit and 64 bit versions of all or products for the next few years at least, so have I understood the situation correctly or can I continue to use Installshield on my 32 bit Windows 7 system to make setups for both 64 and 32 bit target systems?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

Maybe you are referring to the following help topic:
Developing and Building Installations on 32-Bit vs. 64-Bit Systems
And perhaps the following one, too:
Targeting 64-Bit Operating Systems

Developing on a 32-bit vs. 64-bit system really depends on your requirements. Part of it depends on what you mean by supporting both 32-bit and 64-bit target systems. If your product is fine being installed to 32-bit locations on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems, you can develop your installaltion on either platform. That type of installation will run on both platforms.

If you want to install to 32-bit locations on 32-bit target systems and to 64-bit locations (and possibly some 32-bit locations) on 64-bit target systems, you may want to consider using a 64-bit system for your build machines. Examples of factors that necessitate a 64-bit build system include the abilities to extract COM data from 64-bit COM servers and scan for 64-bit dependencies, as described in that first help topic. If you don't need to do these sorts of things in your installation, you would probably be fine with a 32-bit build system.

So, without knowing specifics about your products and installations, it's a little tough to offer specific advice one way or the other. Hopefully that's enough background, and maybe you can post additional questions if you have them.

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
chriscw
Level 6

Thanks Debbie,

I do not think we need to scan for any dependencies as we already know what they are nor extract COM data from COM servers so I will press on with what I'm doing unless I encounter and problems.
0 Kudos