Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kirann_hegde
Level 5

Display a message box on dialog initialization

Hello,

I have a basic msi project. Here is my requirement:

I verify the state of certain services using a custom action just before the finish dialog is displayed. Once i have verified this, i would like to display a message box informing the user that few of the services are stopped.

However i would like to display this message box the moment the Install Finish dialog is displayed ie. upon InstallFinish dialog initialization. Is there a way to do this in a basic msi project?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Kiran Hegde
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Ajay_Ladsaria
Level 7

Hi Kiran,

The easiest thing to do would be to show your message box when the user hits the Finish button on the SetupCompleteSuccess dialog (final success dialog). If this does not meet your requirements, and instead you have to have a message box displayed immediately when SetupCompleteSuccess dialog is displayed, then you can look into trying a more advanced technique:

Create the custom action that displays the message box and give it a sequence number of -1 in the InstallUISequence table. This will cause MSI to run your custom action upon successful installation instead of displaying the SetupCompleteSuccess dialog. So you will have to launch the dialog from your custom action using MsiDoAction or equivalent API call. This approach does complicate your install, and it may be considered against best practice, but it does seem to work without issues.

-Ajay
0 Kudos