cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phenrichs
Level 4

Difference between install types

I am just getting into creating installs. My business is still using InstallShield 6.1 pro, but we are evaluating 2009 for its Vista capabilities.
Can someone explain to me (noob) the differences between MSI, InstallScript, and InstallScript MSI please?
I can't seem to find any good documentation on the acresso site, or could someone give me a link?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Basic MSI projects build an MSI package that is run by the Windows Installer engine (which is a service included built into Windows). InstallScript projects are equivalent to what you are building in Pro 6.x and use the InstallShield InstallScript engine to run the installation. InstallScript MSI projects are a combination of the two engines, with the InstallScript engine driving the installation and user interface, and Windows Installer performing file transfer.

Either Basic MSI or pure InstallScript projects are recommended depending upon your requirements (InstallScript MSI projects are generally not recommended due to the additional complexity and overhead introduced by the two install engines working in one installation). You can find more information in the following article:
Determining Which Installation Project Is Right for You
0 Kudos