cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DandamanAUS
Level 6

Dialog images distored

I have updated from installShield 2013 to 2014 and replaced the images with higher resolution images.
All images have stretched = true.
When I run the installation in windows 8.1 it looks fine.
When I run the installation at 125%, 150% and 200% they all look fine in windows 8 as well.

When I run the installer on my windows 7 virtual machine or on my co-workers windows 7 laptop all of the images are distorted for normal 100%.

See the distortions here:

Please has anyone encountered this issue and what is the work around?
I don't want to un-strecth the images because then it doesn't work for higher DPI settings.

Perhaps I need to do something with @@ResourceID;ScaleFactor? I don't quite understand the release notes/user manual on how to actually do that.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
DandamanAUS
Level 6

Compare that to windows 8 100% normal stretched.
0 Kudos
DandamanAUS
Level 6

Note my project is a "Basic MSI" and not InstallScript MSI or Advanced UI.

Would I have to convert my current layout from basic to installScript MSI or Advanced to produce a better DPI aware installer?
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

For reference, this is an issue with Windows Installer image controls on Windows 7 or older versions of Windows. When the image provided is larger than will be drawn (the image needs to be shrunk down to fit), MSI appears unable to scale the image without causing "corruption" with the displayed image. It appears that Microsoft fixed this issue with better DPI support in Windows 8 and newer.

The only way we were able to work around this issue was to provide an image that was 100% in size so it draws without issues on Windows 7. The image is then scaled up if the installer runs on a machine with high DPI. This doesn't look great but it looks much better than it does when the image needs to be scaled down to fit.

InstallScript and Suite projects both have DPI support that will work correctly with images that need to be scaled up or down on all supported versions of Windows.
0 Kudos
DandamanAUS
Level 6

Yes I agree its a windows installer limitation.
I have been finding it difficult trying to create skins and change the layout of the dialogs for the Installer MSI though.
0 Kudos