cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GatorBadMan
Level 4

DestinationFolder Problem

I am sure this is the most stupid question, but I am stumped...since I know my other installer projects are working just fine:

I created a new, simple installer but not able to make it install to a different destination folder than the default Program Files\Blah\Blah folder. What setting am I missing?

Thanks!
😞
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

To change the default, you can use General Information > Product Properties > INSTALLDIR in an MSI project, or General Information > Product Properties > TARGETDIR in InstallScript.
0 Kudos
GatorBadMan
Level 4

Robert...thanks for your response.

I am sorry, I think I didn't phrase my question right. I do have set my default install folder exactly the way you have suggested. The problem is if I try to install the product to a different (say D:\TestFolder\) using the change destination folder screen, the installer still installs the product to the default location (C:\Program Files\Company\ProductName). Any ideas?
0 Kudos
rags_msi
Level 3

Hi,

give the ROOTDRIVE property in the property table

eg.ROOTDRIVE="location"

or

INSTALLDIR="destination location"

in the proeprty table.

Thanks
Rags:p
0 Kudos
GatorBadMan
Level 4

Thanks, but I am not sure I follow your suggestion.
By setting the value of the public property like you suggested, I can solve the problem of not being able to choose a different target location than the default "C:\Program Files\Company\Product" using the destination folder selection screen?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Perhaps the features' destinations are INSTALLDIR, which is being set by the Destination dialog box or the Custom Setup dialog box, but the components have a different destination?
0 Kudos
GatorBadMan
Level 4

I did found that discrepancy and fixed it too but now I am getting the error "Error 2343: Specified path is empty" 😞

Here's what I have right now:

• General Information > Product Properties > INSTALLDIR set to {PRODUCT}[ProgramFilesFolder]Company\PRODUCT
  • The feature and component's (i just have one feature and one comp) Destination is also set to the same above

What am I missing?:confused:

Thanks.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Are the feature and component going to [INSTALLDIR] or to [PRODUCT]? It should be [INSTALLDIR].

Otherwise, if you create an MSI log file, is there any more information?
0 Kudos
GatorBadMan
Level 4

That did the trick! 🙂

Thanks a lot for the help. I can move on to more tougher tasks of custom dialogs, custom actions etc., now!

Thanks again.
0 Kudos