cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobSzy
Level 3

Default Setup Language in 2016 Professional Edition

Hi to everyone,

I'm new in creating setups with InstallShield. In the past we used the VisualStudio integrated builder - but this does not meet our speficications any more so now we've got the Professional Edition of InstallShield 2016.

Before we ordered the professional version, we were told, that the installation language of IS will automatically be the setup language - this cannot be changed. That's ok for us because we only need the english language for our setups allthough we're a german company. And thats my first problem: I've got a german Windows 7 Enterprise system and I installed IS 2016 Prof SP2 in english. Now I created my first "basic msi project" and the default language is german and cannot be changed.

I've searched the FAQ but didn't found an answer. Can anyone help us to set the english language as default? Thanks! 🙂
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
chad_petersen
Level 9

This seems to be a rather complex topic - I'd suggest contacting Flexera about it. In the meantime here's some good reading material.

Good luck!
Chad
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How an Installation Determines Which Language to Use for the User Interface
InstallShield 2016

Although you can localize an installation in as many languages as your project supports, an installation can be run in only one language. When Setup.exe initializes, it determines which language should be used for the installation.

Determining the Language at Setup.exe Initialization

If your installation has support for more than one language (that is, if you selected more than one language in the Setup Languages panel of the Release Wizard or on the Build tab for the release in the Releases view), and if one of those languages matches one of the following items on a target system, Setup.exe launches the installation in the matching language. Note that the installation evaluates the following items in the order that they are listed and uses the first language that matches:

1. The language that the end user specifies through the /L command-line parameter
2. If an earlier version of the product was installed on the target system and is still present, the language that was used to install the earlier version
3. The user default language of the target system
4. The system default language of the target system
5. The system default UI language of the target system
6. The default language for the installation, which you can set in the Setup Languages panel of the Release Wizard, or on the Build tab for the release in the Releases view

If your installation has support for only one language, Setup.exe launches the installation in that language.

Displaying the Language Selection Dialog at Run Time

InstallShield lets you specify whether you want Setup.exe to display the Languages dialog that allows end users to choose the language in which the installation should run. The dialog presents a list of available languages, which are the same languages that you select in the Setup Languages panel of the Release Wizard, or on the Build tab for the release in the Releases view. The text on the Languages dialog is displayed in the language that Setup.exe selects at initialization.

When the end user makes a selection on the Languages dialog, a Basic MSI or InstallScript MSI installation applies a transform that contains all of the user interface resources for that language and then launches the installation in the selected language.

In an InstallScript installation, the user interface resources are stored in the _isres*.dll files. The strings are built into string table files that are included with the installation’s support files, along with the _isres*.dll files.

Because the Languages dialog is displayed by Setup.exe, you need to create a setup launcher if you want the Languages dialog to be included in the user interface of your installation. For more information, see Creating a Setup Launcher.

Note • The first time that the end user selects a language in the Languages dialog, the installation runs in the selected language. After an installation has been run in a particular language, it cannot be run in any other language on the same machine. This prevents the installation from running repair mode in a language that is different from the one that was used for the first-time installation. It also prevents the installation from installing features for a language that is different from the one that was used for the first-time installation.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, this link hass interesting information....

http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?179399-Why-Default-Language-can-t-work&p=412574#post412574

0 Kudos
RobSzy
Level 3

Hi Chad,

thank you very much! I have fixed the problem now. Your point number 2 ("2. If an earlier version of the product was installed on the target system and is still present, the language that was used to install the earlier version" ) was very usefull:

I had InstallShield Limited Edition installed on my machine (in german)... I deinstalled all Flexera software from my system, cleaned the registry and installed installshield again, and now everythink is fine - now I have my english language in installation, gui and setup.

Thanks a lot - Robert 🙂
0 Kudos