cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crosis
Level 3

Debugging MSI's?

I've done a fresh install of Adminstudio 9 with Installshield 2009 onto a clean workstation (Windows XP SP2). I open a transform and it's associated MSI in Installshield and every time i try to use the Installsheild's Build...Debug menu item or Build...MSI Debugger...Start MSI Debugging menu item, i get the C++ Runtime Error that i've seen in other forum posts here.

I also get the error when attempting to execute the standalone debugger, loading just the MSI (not seeing a way to load a transform there).

Any support available on this? I'd like to get it working to help me troubleshoot some MSI behaviours.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
crosis
Level 3

Update: Attempted this on a Virtual Machine with Windows XP, on a hardware machine with windows XP, windows vista, i've tried clean installs of windows, our corporate images....

I haven't been able to find a single machine that can run the MSI debugging tools without crashing.

Anyone run into this before? Or is it that i'm jinxed?
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

I know that I do not have much success with this. My number one tool for debugging MSI installs is the Log file created during install. Generally I can find 90% of the problems this way. Now saying that, I understand that reading a MSI log file takes some practice ... 😛
0 Kudos
crosis
Level 3

I can see how the quickest way to solve an issue could be to read the logs, in my situation they were no help....

BUT... the product advertises MSI debugging as a feature, one not included in any other product that i know of, but it crashes constantly, why include it or advertise it?

I'd like to have this in my toolbox because I'm better at locating my issue at runtime using filemon, regmon and a debugging tool than by reading the logs.
0 Kudos