cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hlarledge
Level 4

Database Import Connection Failure -- Please help.

When I use IS2008's Database Import Wizard to connect to a SQL Server 2005 database on our network, I get the following error...

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]To connect to this server you must use SQL Server Management Studio or SQL Management Objects (SMO). (55555)

I can connect to the same database using SQL Server Management without any problems. 😞

What could I be doing wrong?

Please advise.

Thanks,
HL
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(21) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

I installed Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition on my clean Windows Server 2003 box, and I verified the SQL-DMO worked okay against a Microsoft SQL Server 2005. I ran your sample VBScript using SQL-DMO and I was able to see all of database names available on the server. I installed the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 RTM and applied the SP2 to set up the machine. Is that how you install your Microsoft SQL Server?

Also, I found a thread in Microsoft Community forum discussing about the "To connect to this server you must use SQL Server Management Studio or SQL Management Objects (SMO)." error. They seem to have solved the error by applying the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward Compatibility Component. See http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=389607&SiteID=1 for more information.

It looks like that I need you to do more tests in order to narrow down your issue. Could you run the following tests and let me know the results?

Scenario 1:[LIST=a]
  • Install Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition RTM with the Database Services and Client Components on a clean machine.
  • Check to see if the SQL-DMO is working.
  • Apply Microsoft SQL Server 2005 SP2.
  • Install the InstallShield IDE.

Scenario 2:[LIST=a]
  • Install Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition RTM with only the Database Services on a clean machine.
  • Install Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward Compatibility Component available as a feature pack at Microsoft.com.
  • Apply Microsoft SQL Server 2005 SP2.

Scenario 3:[LIST=a]
  • Install Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 on a clean machine.
  • Install Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward Compatibility Component available as a feature pack at Microsoft.com.

Regards.
  • 0 Kudos