cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alegerlotz
Level 7

Custom icon not being displayed for shortcut - even though association appears right

I am installing a .msc (mmc snapin) file on my system through a basic MSI project that included the file in a MergeModule.

There are two shortcuts for the .msc file... one on the desktop and one in the start menu.

For both shortcuts, I'm changing the shortcut icon to a custom .ico file.

On the target system (windows XP Professional) the shortcuts get created, but they show the default MMC icon, not the custom icon.

If I go to "properties" on either shortcut and click "Change Icon..." I can see that the correct association was made to the extracted icon.exe by windows installer (the NewIcon1..exe) and the icon I wish to use is on the screen, but not selected. If I manually select the custom icon and click OK, then "Apply" the correct icon is displayed.

Why isn't this working through Windows Installer? It looks like it got 99% there.

Oh, and I tried to reboot the machine to see if it was simply a refresh issue or something and it made no different.

Any ideas?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
alegerlotz
Level 7

As a work around, I added an icon association to the .msc file through the MMC.

I still would like to understand why the association didn't work properly in the first place. It works with other types of files.
0 Kudos