cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rherrick
Level 4

Custom actions not invoked in passive mode

I've already described this in this post, but I'm now trying to do something somewhat different.

For upgrades, my MSI installer is run in passive mode. I added a custom action to run the installed application. The problem is that the custom action is keyed to the After Setup Complete Success dialog event. This is not the same as the setup completing. The EXE launch works fine from the regular installer where the Setup Complete Success dialog actually displays, but running it through msiexec with passive mode results in the custom action not being invoked. The custom actions are apparently tightly keyed to the actual dialog displays and since dialogs aren't displayed in passive mode, no custom action is called.

Is there any way to have a custom action invoked at the end of a passive installation? If not, that's a HUGE weakness and it doesn't appear that it's limited to the LE version of the product. I really need a way to launch the app from the passive install mode.
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi,

Any custom action sequenced after a particular dialog will not occur if the User Interface sequence doesn’t get run due to a passive install. If the custom action has to be launched it must be sequenced in the Execute sequence (after register product, before file transfer, etc) to launch during silent or passive installs.

Thanks.
Lenwin
0 Kudos
rherrick
Level 4

After Register Product is the key. I mistook that for the user filling out the registration form, thinking that would be another dialog in the UI. I put my app launch action there and it works just fine.

Thanks a lot for the help!
0 Kudos