cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayank23
Level 4

Custom action and setupcompletesuccess dialog

Hi I am using Installshield 2010 and have made several msi based installation projects.In most of them the custom action for launch read me after setupcompletesuccess's ok pushbutton is working perfectly .However in two of my projects launch read me custom action is not getting launched at all.All the settings are same.Nothing is missing.Infact I have gone through all the enteries in all the tables in the Direct editor to see if something is different in these msi projects than the others .Settings for custom action are immediate execution,asynchronus(don't wait for completion),always execute.Same settings are working fine for other setups.Please help somebody!:confused:
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Holger_G
Level 10

If you have not, enable verbose logging and take a look at the log file.
0 Kudos
Mayank23
Level 4

This is what I am getting in the log file : -

Doing action: SetupCompleteSuccess
Action 18:07:04: SetupCompleteSuccess.
Action start 18:07:04: SetupCompleteSuccess.
Action 18:07:04: SetupCompleteSuccess. Dialog created
MSI (c) (E8:C0) [18:07:07:418]: Doing action: Launch_Application
Action 18:07:07: Launch_Application.
Action start 18:07:07: Launch_Application.
Action ended 18:07:07: SetupCompleteSuccess. Return value 2.
Action ended 18:07:07: INSTALL. Return value 1.
Action ended 18:07:07: Launch_Application. Return value 1631.
MSI (c) (E8:7C) [18:07:07:481]: Destroying RemoteAPI object.
MSI (c) (E8:44) [18:07:07:481]: Custom Action Manager thread ending.

The custom action is giving return value 1631..I have checked everything .Everything seems to be alright ..Only these two setups are giving me trouble!!:(
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

On which operating systems do you run into that trouble? And how to you launch the readme?
0 Kudos
Mayank23
Level 4

Hi I am using win xp
I have one question : Had it been a windows installer service problem then why my other setups are running fine? :confused:
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Have you figured this out as of yet? I am running into the same issue with one of my installs and I keep getting the 1631 return code on the custom action...
0 Kudos
kayaker
Level 4

"ERROR_CREATE_FAILED 1631 The Windows Installer service failed to start. Contact your support personnel. "

Did you check the event view to find out more clue about the installer service?
0 Kudos