cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gary_Clark
Level 3

Custom Action executable running both install and uninstall?

Hello,

I have an executable that I want to run on install "Only". When the package is uninstalled it runs again. I have the following:

In-Script Execution: Deferred Execution
Install Exec Sequence: After Publish product

If somebody could tell me how I can to run just on just on installation I would sure appreciate it. Not sure which action I should follow to run the executable.

Thanks,
Garyc
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Please see, for example, this newsletter tip (PDF warning): http://www.acresso.com/webdocuments/PDF/msiconditions.pdf; you can generally use the condition Not Installed to ensure an action runs only during the initial installation.

P.S. Better yet, please see the help topic "Detecting First-Time Installations".
0 Kudos
Gary_Clark
Level 3

Much appreciated Robert I wish that condition "Not Installed" was in the list of conditions when scrolling through the condition list. I had to manually type that it in. But it appears to work which I'm relieved and happy about. Again thanks Robert for the link and quick response.

Garyc
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

As an aside, you also want to consider how you want it to behave during repairs, major upgrades, minor upgrades and patching.

Personally I tend to tie my custom actions to Component Action states ( ! evaluator in Conditional Expressions help topic ) rather then feature or product actions.
0 Kudos