cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marketware
Level 6

Custom Action DLL that requires 2nd file

How can you make sure that when a custom action is run that any files associated with the DLL are in the same directory?

I have an Add-In Express manifest file that needs to be read, and also some supporting files that must be available when the DLL runs its Registration routine.

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Cary_R
Level 11

Hi There,

If it's an MSI Dll custom action, you'll need to install it with the package along side the files it needs.

You might be able to use another custom action to copy files to %TEMP%, but this requires another custom action, and might not even work depending on how the files are referenced. So I'd recommend the former option.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
marketware
Level 6

The DLL is dual purpose, it performs registration of the Add-In for Outlook and Word, but it's also used to run the Add-in, so it will already be copied into the install folder, along with support files and the manifest.

Can I assume that if it's copied into the install folder, and the custom action is after files are copied, it should be able to find the support files? Or what do I need to do to make sure that it gets run with the right current folder so it can find its support files?
0 Kudos