cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pradana
Level 6

Creating new virtual directory on upgrade

Hi,

I'm currently working with a web setup project (creating IIS virtual directory, executing scripts etc).

During upgrade (executing the same setup.exe as new install), I'm planning to give options to user:
- Replace existing application files with the new ones (normal upgrade), OR
- Create a new virtual directory/web application that co-exists with existing application (so they may be more than one virtual dirs on IIS), and copying the new files for that new web app.

Is it possible to do the second option (create new virtual directory while keeping the old one)?

Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
pradana
Level 6

I tried to change the value of INSTALLDIR property to some fixed directory (eg. C:\Test\) during upgrade. But, the new files are still copied to the old installation directory.

Any thoughts? :confused:
0 Kudos
TheTraveler
Level 8

Hello,

Here is a link that contains some useful IIS functions that I wrote. If your project allows for Install Shield script, then you will definitely want to take a look. It allows for creation of IIS folders and you are allowed to put any path you want in the function call.
0 Kudos
pradana
Level 6

Thanks Traveler, this IIS stuff would be useful 🙂

One thing that I'm still curious is, how to change the installation directory during upgrade? So, the new files would be copied to the new directory specified by the user, instead of replacing the old files in the old installation directory.

Appreciate any suggestion. Thanks.
0 Kudos
TheTraveler
Level 8

If your project is an Install Shield script project, you could try and change the TARGETDIR variable in the OnUpdateUIBefore event function.
0 Kudos
abrasha
Level 4

Hi,

The other way is define another location variable:
FeatureSetTarget(MEDIA, "", sNewLocationFolder);
and set it in Destination property of component .
This is right for InstallScript-project.
0 Kudos